When you're traveling the globe for work or pleasure, the last thing you should need to worry about is your hair! When I was planning my first trip abroad to Rome, I did so much research on what to wear, where to stay and learning as much Italian as I could. By the time I got there, I hadn't researched how humid it would be! Me and my hair fought during that entire trip! I learned a valuable lesson: Have travel ready hair and you'll have a much better trip! By the time I made it to Paris the 2nd time (the 1st trip it rained the entire time and I still hadn't tamed my hair yet) I was well equipped with all the tools needed to have fabulous, care-free hair that was all mine and a breeze to take care of. Here are a few tips to having care-free travel hair:
1) Always bring scarves. I found that no matter the weather, as long as I had a scarf in case of hair emergencies, my hair was always looking fabulous and carefree! Practice tying them before you go so that you won't have to fight with it while you're on vacation!! See my scarf tying video below.
2) Purchase travel size containers. This is a lifesaver when you have tons of products to pack but not a lot of room in your suitcase! Fill up travel containers with your favorite oils, creams, sprays, shampoos, conditioners and must have hair products.
3) Keep oil in your purse. This is for those traveling on an airplane. That plane will truly suck the life and oil out of your hair. Your scalp will feel like the desert during and after a flight. Combat this by keeping a nice oil (in a travel safe container) on your person. Keep your scalp moisturized for a smoother more comfortable flight!
4) Bring petroleum. This tip is for Naturals traveling to hot and extremely humid climates (islands or the beach) who are trying to keep a twist-out, braid-out or rollerset in tact. Coating your strands (never your scalp) with a petroleum based product will keep the moisture from ruining your hairdo! Don't be afraid...it's only for this trip and you can go back to Natural oils when you get home.
5) Don't forget your rollers. This can lead to disaster if you've rollerset your hair and don't bring back up rollers to rejuvenate your curls. Pack extra rollers so that if your hair gets wet or there's an issue, you can fix it at night and be roller set fresh in the morning!
6) Bring plenty of bobby pins. You never know what will happen on a trip. Bring plenty of hair pins just in case your hairstyle fails you. You can make an updo and have everyone impressed at how versatile your hair is while on vacation.
If you plan right, bring scarves to match your outfits, along with jewelry and other accessories, you can have a carefree hair travel experience.